Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Boys will be boys

Well, both of my boys have black eyes right now. I promise I'm not a bad mom!!! Isaiah fell on his face onto the hardwood floor. Palmer got knocked in the eye by the see-saw at the YMCA. They look like they've been punching each other (and they do that also, but they don't leave black eyes). Anyway, I grew up with just one sister -- no brothers, so it's taking me while to get used to all the wildness. I try to instill love into them and we constantly talk about how God wants us to treat others. I know they understand this, BUT they LOVE to talk about fighting and killing the bad guys ( I suggest jail rather than death), shooting the bad animals, smashing the bad bugs, etc. Is this normal? They've never seen violence on TV -- we don't even get real TV -- and they watch Veggie Tales and other sweet cartoons. So where does it come from? Palmer's teacher said she was telling the "fishes and loaves" story at school and Palmer asked "how did they kill the fish? Did they smash em? " I'm not truly worried, because I think this is normal behavior -- according to Wild At Heart, but still it's hard for my female mind to comprehend. So, anyway that's what's going on around here. Any advice from moms with boys?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

When I worked in childcare, the boys would nibble their graham crackers into guns so they could pretend to shot. I think it is normal and it sounds like you are balancing it all very well. Anyway, I am sure it won't be the last black eye a John's boy has! :)